Monday, July 2, 2018

A most inspiring alumni graduation address

One of the highlights of our 2018 Davis Academy graduation was the speech delivered by Kelsey Rogut (TDA Class of 2004). Full of wisdom and meaningful perspective, the speech so clearly shows how the bonds of community extend far beyond a student's time at school. Posted here are Drew Frank's introduction of Kelsey followed by her remarks. 



Introduction of Speaker

It is with great pride that I now invite to the podium a graduate of The Davis Academy class of 2004, Kelsey Rogut. After attending Riverwood High School, Kelsey traveled to New Orleans to attend Tulane University, where she graduated with her Bachelor of Arts degree as well as a Master of Arts Degree. Following graduation, Kelsey moved back to Atlanta to begin her career. She is currently working at The Home Depot corporate headquarters as an Instructional Designer, where she is responsible for designing and developing Enterprise Leadership training materials for the company. Kelsey serves as the Vice Chair of  Development of Women’s Link, a women’s group at The Home Depot. In her spare time, she volunteers with the Society of Human Resources Managers to put on events for HR practitioners, and she will be speaking at the Association of Talent Development ACE conference in August of this year. It is my honor and privilege to invite Kelsey to come and address the class of 2018.

Kelsey Rogut's Remarks

Graduates, faculty and staff, parents, family, and friends,
I am so honored to be here today speaking with you all. This is a very special place, and this is a very special day for ALL of you.
Fourteen years ago, I was seated where you all are seated now.
Well, not quite. This beautiful theater sits where the all-school picture “hill” used to be. My graduating class in 2004 was only 20 students. My Kindergarten year was in the basement of the Junior Achievement building on Abernathy, and I was at the ribbon cutting when this building opened. This place is a big part of my past, but I’m here to tell you all that it is also a part of my present and will remain in my future as well.
In the audience today is my best friend, Ilana. She and I met on the first day of Kindergarten—we both cried so intensely we had to be separated from the other kids—and we stuck together ever since. This past October, I had the privilege of signing the Ketubah at her wedding.
I share my past with you because this is a big day, and I remember it well. It’s the closing of an important chapter of your lives and the beginning of a new adventure. I was a Davis “lifer” – nine years here—and I remember feeling ready to leave, excited for high school, and a little sad all at the same time. Everyone handles big changes differently, so stick together and look out for each other...it’s really easy because I’m sure you all have cell phones glued to your hands! I was in the 9th grade when I finally got a flip phone, so be really grateful you weren’t me…
Fast-forwarding to today, I design and develop leadership training at The Home Depot headquarters. My job is to grow and develop leaders so the people who work for them are happy and productive at work. Leadership is not about being the best and winning: it’s about positively influencing the people around you to be their best. Mr. Frank let me know that Davis now has a leadership development program, and I’m thrilled you had such early exposure to these lessons: carry them with you always! Leadership is NOT a title: it’s a way of behaving; this means you can be a leader where ever you are, both quietly in how you treat others and loudly when you decide to get involved and take action. The secret I’ll share with you today is that leadership lessons don’t change as you get older, so the leaders who go through my training are breaking bad habits instead of continuing good ones. Don’t lose sight of what you’ve learned here.
 So now, in true graduation fashion, I have four quick pieces of advice for you all. This advice was inspired by leadership training, things I wish I knew 14 years ago, and things I live by now:
1.       First: some people say nothing that’s worthwhile is ever easy…and I slightly disagree. It’s true that you will have to work hard for the things you really want, but that hard work makes the win feel so much better. However, I’ve learned that this rule does NOT apply to friendships or relationships. Leaders surround themselves with people who make them feel strong and confident. Don’t surround yourself with people who make you feel small and who want to dim your light!
2.       Second: if it’s over, let it go. I promise you: drama is a huge waste of time and energy, and you will not remember it in the future. I even researched this: I read my journal from the 8th grade, and I ASSURE you that I don’t remember a single piece of the drama I wrote down. Don’t waste your energy on small things…and if it seems big now, it will hopefully pass quickly only to be forgotten. Great leaders rise above and keep moving forward.
3.       Third: you get what you give. Give to others because you want to make their lives better. If it won’t make their lives better, think really carefully before giving it to them. Great leaders evaluate what they do by asking, “What would this feel like if I was in their shoes?”
4.       Fourth and finally: you had a really special childhood at Davis—you’ll soon learn it was more special than most. You are cherished and loved by this community, and this is such a proud day for everyone here. Keep making the people you love proud, and keep making yourself proud. Great leaders appreciate others and say thank you.
Before I end my speech, I want to dedicate it to a very special friend of mine. When I was in the 7th grade, Davis participated in a student hosting program with an organization called ORT in which we had 20 Argentine students come study at Davis for three months. Fara Rustein was my “buddy” – I was assigned to look out for her and ensure she was happy. She became a best friend. I made her a promise as we said goodbye that I would go to Buenos Aires and see her…so seven years later, in 2010, I studied abroad in college in Buenos Aires. She embraced me with the same kindness and generosity Davis had shown her years ago, and she made me feel safe and happy just like we had. She passed away from leukemia three years ago, and not a day goes by that I don’t think of her. So, standing in the building where I met her, and I want to express my profound appreciation to this school for bringing her into my life. She changed me for the better, and she was changed for the better by this place.
As I said when I started this speech: this place is very special, and it will continue to be a blessing throughout your lives—in big, signing-the-Ketubah-at-you-best-friend’s-wedding ways, and in smaller ways, like running into an old classmate and they still know the names of your family members. So, hug your family and friends extra hard today, thank them for their support, and feel very fortunate that you were loved and cared for at Davis.
To quote the book I got at my 8th grade graduation  “You’re off to great places / today is your day! / Your mountain is waiting, / so get on your way!”
Mazel tov, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment