Last night, from 4-7pm, our Hebrew team gathered for a special professional development experience. Facilitated by the founders of Ulpan Or, the session had a few takeaways:
1) thinking about the difference between a foreign language and a second language
2) thinking about the differences between "learning" a second language and "acquiring" a second language.
3) the importance of getting kids speaking Hebrew ASAP.
4) the importance of boosting kids self-esteem and confidence when it comes to second language acquisition
5) the importance of creating opportunities to hear and speak Hebrew outside the classroom (for example, texting friends in Hebrew instead of English)
These are just a few of the topics that our team explored in our time together.
We are blessed here at Davis to have a team of Hebrew Language Instructors that care deeply about the topic they teach and that are always eager to acquire new tools for bringing Hebrew to life for our students!