Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Reflections on 6th Grade Charleston Trip

Davis Middle School overnight trips offer a carefully crafted mix of fun, bonding, learning, and opportunities for individual and group reflection. That's certainly the case on our 6th grade trip to Charleston where students explore the beautiful city but also address the topic of the slave trade as well as the Mother Emanuel Church Shooting and also visit the city's Holocaust memorial. Here are a few journal entries, published here with parental permission.


During our trip, we learned that Charlston was a state founded on religious freedom. Before the Civil War, the whole state of Charleston lived off of slavery. As a Jew, I know that  Jews have been treated as slaves in the past, and I strongly disagree and dislike the topic of slavery. This is not only because it happened to my people, but because I hate seeing innocent people suffer. We visited two different places connecting the topic of slavery between two different groups of people. The Jews and African Americans were both treated as slaves. In Charleston, we visited a holocaust memorial for the six-million Jews who were murdered only because of what they believed in. The Jews were enslaved and taken to concentration camps where they were hurt and killed. On the other hand, we also visited a slave market, where African Americans were sold to people as property, and as slaves. The African Americans were bought, taken to a plantation and worked out of their minds, so hard that by the end of the day, they could barely get to their cabins, before passing out. Even though the Jews and the African Americans were treated differently, they were still both under control of slavery. Slavery is a brutal idea, and I am overjoyed that in the United States, it is no longer practiced, but we must know that even though slavery is not here, people are still being enslaved around the whole world.
          When we visited the slave market in Charleston, there were many sad things I saw and read, but the worst was probably the Rattle Leg Shackle. This device was bound to a slave’s ankle. Whenever they would move, the shackle would rattle. This prevented them from escaping without getting caught. Even if they tried to sneak out at the darkest hour of night, the rattles in the shackle would still be heard. Thankfully, once the slaves cleverly discover that they could mute the noise by shoving mud into an opening in the shackel, the rattle leg shackle could no longer be used. Even though the rattle leg shackle is not being used today, there are still weapons that were used in the past for slavery that are used today. For instance, an invention that came from the rattle leg shackle, handcuffs.  Handcuffs are pretty much modern day shackles, except for the fact that they don’t make loud noises. However, handcuffs are not a problem to me, because they aren’t used against innocents, unlike the rattle leg shackle, which is. I strongly dislike the topic of slavery, but I am so thankful that for the people living in the United States today, slavery has been abolished. I learned a lot on my trip to Charleston, South Carolina and I am so glad I went with all of my friends and teachers. It was such an amazing experience that I most definitely will remember for my school years to come. -Sadie Hoff


       Charleston was an amazing experience even though I have been many, many times before. However, some people didn’t have fun there. Those people were the slaves of the plantation owners and other places, who suffered years of harsh beatings, which we should think about. I had a really great time on the Catamaran because it was so relaxing and so pretty looking at all the buildings feeling the cool breeze. What more could you want? It was amazing, unlike the experiences the slaves had in Charleston. They never got to enjoy the freedom of a wonderful boat ride on the harbor. Being Jewish people, we should hate slavery. Imagine thanking the heavens for your freedom, while your slave is fanning you. In that case, you’re not the greatest person, you are the greatest hypocrite. An artifact I chose was the shackle, which are chains they used to put on the slaves to keep them from leaving. This item was first used in the French area of Haiti in the 1700s. The item is now a U shaped link to connect and stabilize vehicles or tug a boat. This reality of slavery is terrible and we should not name a link after a slave torturer. I believe that we should try to give freedom to all human beings, even if they look, talk or act different. They are still human, and so are we. -Will Morrison

I really enjoyed my trip to Charleston and I learned a lot. The activity I will remember the longest on our trip to Charleston is the ropes course. At first I was scared to do it because of my fear of heights, then when I went on it, I overcame my fear, and enjoyed it. In Charleston, we learned of its history of slavery. I believe that slavery is wrong because we are all created equal. In the Jewish religion, we believe in our Menschlichkeit values, which are wisdom, respect, spirit, righteousness, and community. Slavery goes against all of these values. In the Slave Mart Museum, I selected shackles to write about. I choose the shackles because I was shocked when I saw that they used these kinds of materials on humans. I think white people back then thought of African Americans as animals. The shackles proved that to me. Today, shackles are still used, but in a different form. Prisoners are regularly shackled when being moved from a location and in court. Charleston taught me a lot about slavery and I had fun with my friends. -Zach Notte


          Recently my sixth grade class and I went to Charleston, South Carolina and it was both awesome and interesting. I think the most memorable activity that we did would have to be the Slave Market Museum because we don’t ever think about how lucky we are to be able to go to a private school and have loving parents.  When we went to the Slave market the whip caught my eye because people are still being abused today. Also, because Adrian Peterson, a football player got arrested for abuse with a belt. Although the slave owners didn’t whip the slaves because it left scars and it was illegal to abuse slaves, they still used other things like it. Its purpose was if the slaves were bad their owners would whip them. Although most people use belts now, abuse was and is some of the worst things people can do and some people commit suicide because of it. We went to a church where many people were killed because of their race and during that all I could think about is people discriminating against Jews. Also, with slavery this stuck to my mind, because I don’t know why people see Jews differently. I made so many great memories and learned so much, I will never forget this trip.  -Ryan Altmann

No comments:

Post a Comment